Darryl O. Perry
I am an instrument of communication dedicated to crafting and transcending written word into reader experience. As a free-lance writer for more than 10 years, my stories have met the deadlines and needs of both magazine and newspaper editors alike. When I am not providing the spotlight in the world of entertainment, I am attacking social injustice and challenging conventional thought. I don’t fight about it, I just write about it!
HIPHOPWIRED –Atlanta, Georgia
- “Evaluating Haiti’s Pact with the Devil (France &The U.S.)” 02/15/10
- “The Good Life” Interviews with filmmaker Ava Duvernay and Good Life Mc’s 07/07/09
The Atlanta Voice Newspaper—Atlanta, Georgia
- “Troy Davis’ Prayers Answered Once More.”
- “Third stay of execution granted in Davis death penalty case. 10/30/08
- “Supreme Court examines Troy Davis case.” Highest court stays execution. 10/1/08
- “Where is the Justice?” The Denial of Clemency for Troy Davis. 09/25/08
- “Is it just a drink?” Examining the abuse of Alcohol amongst the African-American community. 06/19/08 – Award Winner- 2009 Miller Coors Messenger Award
- “Coming to a town near you: Gang Activity in Atlanta.” 05/05/08
- “Crisis in the Black Community: The HIV Epidemic” 02/21/08
Street Report Magazine—Atlanta, Georgia
“Blood In, Blood Out” Revealing interview with East Coast “Blood” Dashaun “Jiwe” Morris- 11/02/2008
Monsta Magazine—Atlanta, Georgia
“8 Diagrams” Analysis and review of the latest album from the “WU-Tang Clan.” -4/25/08
The Star News/ Currents— Wilmington, NC
“That’s my D.J.” Interview with local D.J. P-Money of Coast 97.3 FM. – 03/22/08
The Source Magazine—New York, NY—September 2003—December 2004
Free- Lance Writer: Coordinated with editors to produce stories and assignments by deadline.
- “Back In the Lab” Sept. 03 issue—Conducted studio interview with “Star Trak” recording artist “The Clipse” and wrote about the sometimes rigorous recording process involved in their sophomore project.
- “Record Report” December 2003 issue–Wrote Review for “Birth of a Prince” by RZA of the “Wu-Tang Clan” and assigned album rating.
- “Off The Radar” August, September, November, & December 04 issues—Conducted interviews with independent artists (regional acts and wrote stories.)
Mad Rhythms Magazine — Chesapeake, VA. — April 1998—October 1999
- Provided multi-functional service as a promotional assistant, staff writer, and editor.
- Coordinated stories between free-lance writers and developed creative story concepts.
- Edited stories and confirmed facts and quotes. Conducted interviews with various entertainment and fashion personalities.
- Maintained a persistent presence at local entertainment events, which included magazine promotion at the Missy Elliot Music convention and assisting with the entertainment aspect of the annual Umoja Festival in VA.
The Miles Agency—Niche Marketing and Public Relations Firm — VA. Beach, VA Feb 1998- April 1998
- Wrote and edited press releases.
- Assisted in development of marketing campaigns and coordinated of PR events such as the Kingsmill Celebrity Golf Tournament.
- Participated in the City of Norfolk’s teen pregnancy prevention campaign, which involved development of campaign slogan and images associated with billboards and other print media.
Education: Bachelors of Arts Degree in Journalism/Advertising May 1999
Norfolk State University— Norfolk, VA.